Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Voice - Whitney Houston

I'm so saddened by the untimely death of "The Voice - Whitney Houston."

Although I didn't know Ms. Houston personally, we were only three years apart in age, and I remember her explosion onto the music scene as a young adult, and I watched (and listened to) her meteoric rise to the top.

During the 80's, you couldn't listen to the radio for long without hearing one of Whitney Houston's many hits.  Some of my favs: "Saving All My Love for You," "I Look to You," "Exhale (Shoop)," "I Have Nothing," and my absolute fav, "Run To You."

Although there were other singers with Ms. Houston's level of talent (Barbra Streisand, Celine Dion, Aretha Franklin, Mariah Carey, k.d. Lang, Kate Bush, Gloria Estefan, Agnetha Faltskog & Anni-Frid Lyngstad (the ABBA ladies), and more recently, Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Hudson, Rihanna, Kelly Clarkson, and Christina Aguilera, but to name a few) I felt there was something about Whitney's voice that contained the most emotion and soul, as well as the most amazing control and range - the "gold standard," if you will.  And, I loved that she always looked so stunning and regal.  In short, she made it look and sound easy.

Beautiful and mega-talented, to me, Whitney Houston has always been "The Voice."  My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.

What's your favorite Whitney song?

No comments: