Saturday, April 2, 2011

Writer Interrupted

We've probably all experienced writer's block at one time or another.  You know the feeling - when you just can't drag yourself to open MS, and you have absolutely no plot/character ideas in your usually over-crowded mind.

I've been experiencing writer's block for a couple of months - actually since January, if truth be told - and it's scaring me to no end!  A little voice in my vacant head keeps niggling me, "Will I ever get back to my current WIP?"

In December, 2010, I was happily working on SAND, the second book in my YA Paranormal Romance Saga, while querying agents for the first book, WIND.  Then, of course, Christmas arrived, as it always does, and sucked up a great amount of my time and energy.  I told myself it's normal not to be writing during the holidays, what with all the shopping, gift wrapping, cooking, parties, family time, etc.

As 2011 rolled around, I was struck down by a horrible flu (I was sure it was pnemonia, but the doctor insisted it wasn't, and he should know!), which I'm still battling to some extent as it slowly dwindles down.  To add to this, I have a very demanding daytime gig (I'm an Admin. Assistant at a large Paramedic Service).  Then, just as I was starting to feel better, my kids got sick too.  They're both young adults, but still, I'm their mom, and my natural instinct is to take care of them, which of course, I did.

All this sounds like I'm whining a bit, and maybe I am, but the point is, I can't seem to get back on track with my writing.

So, lately I've been asking myself questions like, "Am I meant to be a writer?", "Should I carry on writing?", and "Will I ever find an agent?"   Of course, deep down inside, I already know the answers to these questions (yes, yes, and yes!)  In my heart of hearts, I know I'm just going through a funk, and I'll get back on track soon. 

I miss writing.  I miss the joy of creating a well-written, richly descriptive paragraph, or realistic, moving dialogue.  But most of all, I miss my wonderful friends who come alive when I open my MS; WIND and SAND's cool protangonist, Flynn, her emotional little sister, Kevan, and their goofy, but loveable, brother, Dylan.  I even miss the evil, Lix.

I miss connecting with my wonderful writer friends.  I miss the comraderie; sharing the agonies and ecstacies of navigating the publishing world.

Then I began to wonder:  Has this happened to you?  Have you, for whatever reason(s), experienced writer's block?  I'd love to hear your story!

2 comments:

Cathy's HQ said...

Cindy, I just love your style and your authenticity. Sometimes we just need a break to restore our souls and a rest to restore our (sadly aging) bodies. When you are ready, the words will flow and they will be as beautifically lyrical as ever.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Cathy!

What a lovely comment!